The main functions of the Finance Department of Longford County Council are to:
- Achieve the financial objectives of the Council’s Corporate Plan.
- Manage the financial affairs of the Council
- Ensure that adequate internal controls are in operation to safeguard the assets of the organisation, and ensure, as far as possible, the accuracy and reliability of the accounting records.
- Ensure as far as possible that value for money is achieved throughout the organisation
The Head of Finance, who reports directly to the County Manager, is responsible for the management of the financial affairs of Longford County Council. There are four sections within this Department, Accounts, Rates & Higher Education Grants, Motor Taxation and Information Systems.
The Department has responsibility for:
- Financial & Management Accounting including preparation of Budgets and Annual Financial Statement.
- Budgetary control.
- Financial reporting, back up and advice.
- Financial returns, internal & external.
- Management of long and short-term finances.
- Investment and borrowing
- Creditors Payments through the Accounts Payable section.
- Development/improvement of financial systems.
- Insurance/Risk Management.
- Payments of Higher Education grants
- Motor Taxation
- Information Systems