Longford County Council is dedicated to promoting road safety.
Road safety is something we should always keep in mind. It is up to every individual to be a responsible and conscientious road user.
The Road Safety role of Local Authorities is wide and ranges from Road Construction to Safety Promotion to School Warden Schemes. They now have an expanded role in promoting road safety by developing more initiatives at local level such as:-
- Participation working group to co-ordinate the activities of agencies and bodies involved e.g. Gardai and H.S.E.
- Updating and Development of a Road Safety Plan.
- Co-ordination with the Road Safety Authority – advertising, promotions, and media campaigns.
- Introduction of BEEP BEEP day at all Childcare Facilities in County Longford.
- Promotion and launch of “Check It Fits” Roadshow in Longford.
- Pilot Scheme for Salmon and Friends to Pre-School Children in conjunction with Road Safety Authority and Longford Childcare Committee.
- Promotion of Road Safety in Secondary Schools through the “Drive for Life Programme”.
- Launch of Road Safety Initiative aimed primarily at cyclists and pedestrians in conjunction with Roscommon/Longford Garda Division, Longford County Council and the HSE.
- Promotion and launch of the ‘Be Safe’ Curriculum in conjunction with the Road Safety Authority for Primary School’s.
- The Junior School Warden Service is designed to provide safe crossing facilities for children in the vicinity of primary schools in provincial towns and villages.
The Local Authority is responsible for the introduction and operation of the Junior School Warden service with the co-operation of the Gardai, School Boards of Management, Teachers, Parents and Children. The Road Safety Authority provides assistance with the initial organisation of the schemes. Longford County Council has 1 scheme in operation at present Scoil Mhuire National School, Newtownforbes. Adult School Wardens are also provided at St. Emer’s National School, Longford and Lanesboro National School.
The Safe Cross Code is also available on our site here.
Longford County Council, Longford County Childcare Committee, the Road Safety Authority, Longford Gardai and the HSE are working together to promote road safety in the Longford County.
Beep Beep Day
The Road Safety Authority’s "Check it Fits Roadshow" was established following research that showed that many parents and guardians were installing their child car seats incorrectly. In fact, research from the most recent "Check it Fits" roadshow has indicated that 3 out of 4 car seats are not fitted correctly. Incorrectly fitted child restraints can lead to serious or fatal injuries in the event of a collision.
Junior School Wardens.
Check it fits Roadshow